I thought it would be fun to take snapshots of certain London landmarks which were somehow always hovering in the background when I stayed in London ages ago. Goodness, it's been ten years since I entered university! During my last visit to the Big Smoke in 2005, I didn't see any of the sights below, as activities were concentrated in a different part of the city. This time, we stayed in Bloomsbury, so wandered around the WC1-WC2 postcodes quite a bit.

A short note: Ten years on, what you once thought was only a five minute walk will turn out to be a fifteen-minute, gasping, side-clutching hike.

I've used this exit on many weekends (and weeknights!).

The Hippodrome: never been, but can't get it out of your face.

"Meet at Haagen Dazs, k?"



Good ol' Prince Charles Cinema! I wonder, is it still only 2.50, free seating?

"Meet at the pavilion, k?"

"Meet at Gerrard Street, k?"

Desperate for Chinese provisions? Look no further...

Everything is some dragon!

They used to sell yummy daan tart. Ok, those were desperate times.

The picture speaks for itself!

"Wardour Street again?!!!"

Never tried, never will! But it's still 4.95?!

I laughed at this restaurant when it first opened, who'd have thought I'd end up in the SAR.

Hot cups of java on cold wintry evenings... aaaaah.

The premier radio station!

Where I got my haircuts. Incidentally, my hairdresser's name was "H". yup, just that.

It was also during this trip that we realised that, back then as students, either we didn't know the difference between good and mediocre or were just really hungry all the time, because the Chinese food in London just didn't taste that great anymore. Or perhaps we were just living with the romanticised notion of hot, steaming plates of greasy Chinese food/dim sum on cold, dark days, in the company of good friends, with assignments to moan about and only crappy hall food to go back to. Then again, maybe we've really been spoiled by the good food here in HK.

4 comments:

  1. jesscet said...

    Your photos brought back such nostalgic memories.. especially those of Chinatown! i remember i always went to Kowloon for its `kai mei pao' and shop for groceries at Lung Fung! :p

    i know what u mean by the food aint so good anymore. Compared to REAL chinese food in HK, those in Chinatown cater much to the `guailos'.

    anyways, welcome back and see ya soon.. :)  

  2. Sushers said...

    hehehe. you're so right when you said "meet at Haagen Daz and Gerrad Street?" and also the daan tart is still good there! :P  

  3. leymondcha said...

    Welcome back- hope you had a good holiday!

    Sigh... your photos bring back such lovely memories... :)  

  4. Anonymous said...

    I enjoyed looking at your photos! So real London... not like the air-brushed stuff you see in the movies where they only take you to the Thames and show the Big Ben or Buckingham Palace.  


 

Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.