Back sprain. Again.

After a year's respite, I suffered another back sprain last week while walking along the pavement in Causeway Bay. I felt a sudden tug in the region between my left shoulder blade and my spine, and after that, every inch of my back seemed to tense up, almost as if to compensate for the injured muscle. By the time I reached home, my whole back was aching and every sudden movement sent a jolt through my whole body. I quickly applied two gel-type medicated plasters on the painful area, which helped somewhat, but later that evening, I went to the pharmacy to get some Nurofen. Over the next few days, the pain subsided and returned, and different parts of my back were affected too as other muscles struggled to bear the load of the injured ones.

After a weekend without much improvement, I decided to see a physiotherapist, recommended by a friend. Might as well sort out the problem once and for all. I made an appointment for this afternoon, and the consultation and treatment lasted a little over an hour. The physiotherapist expertly identified the problematic areas as well as areas where there was excessive tightness - these were the very areas where the recurrent sprains of yesteryear took place!

I had to undergo a sort of heat treatment which was applied to my back muscles, which was followed by a type of electro-pulse therapy where electrodes (?) emitting a pulsating buzz were stuck onto my back. An ultrasound followed thereafter. The physiotherapist also advised me on how to choose the right type of mattress and pillow and how to measure the dimensions corresponding to your own body size. Posture is also something we take for granted, as we are supposed to maintain the right posture when performing different tasks, so as not to occasion injury to the back. The corollary of that is, thou shalt not lift heavy items!

I'm supposed to return for several more treatments (to sort out the current injury) before beginning on exercises to strengthen my back. It's time-consuming, this whole thing, but better to sort it out now than suffer later!

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous said...

    Oh, poor you! Hope the treatment is helping with the achy pains? I remember you used to come in to office with the medicated plasters some times. Take care and get well soon!  

  2. jesscet said...

    oh no, again! poor thing, can imagine how painful that backache could be as muscles and joint aches after a hard workout is bad enough for me! anyway, hope u're feeling better now and the physio will work.. take care!  

  3. Chipmunkrock said...

    yea..do find the time to do some exercises once your back's healed because it really makes a difference.  

  4. HL said...

    Thanks for the encouragement! I've done two sessions already and back feels better. I can't wait till the physio stops the treatment and starts on the exercises. I hope I'll have the discipline to keep it up...  


 

Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.